Rakshabandhan is a festival that celebrates the bond of love shared by brothers with their sisters.. and we all know that. However in some instances.. the bond is made and cemented between two people who are not necessarily connected through blood but from heart to heart..
The name itself implies protection.. but in today’s
world.. I am asking.. protection from what? Protection from who? We girls and
women (as well as boys and men) are at the risk of “dangerous predators” at the
physical mental emotional sexual digital personal and professional level.. How
many of these can and will a brother protect us from? He has to protect himself
and his family as well.. so everyone.. just sit up straight and accept that YOU
have to be your own greatest “knight in shining armour”.. friend..
philosopher.. guide and fiercest and constantly present protector!
I may sound a little cynical here but.. what does that
piece of string (fancy or simple) actually mean? Are the two people concerned
loving caring understanding and protective towards each other consistently all
through the year or is it reserved especially for this one day? Do they go
through the entire “tilak diya aarti mithai” and tying that rakhi just because they
have to or is it to proclaim on Instagram or is it genuine? Do these people
check in on each other every now and then or do they both take each other
completely for granted?
It is a matter of pride to feel capable of being able
to protect myself and take care of myself.. and that is a feeling I wish for
every girl and woman in India.. Being financially independent is just the first
step on the ladder to becoming self-sufficient so those of you who are bringing
home a fat pay cheque at the end of the month.. hold your horses and don’t get
too carried away or fly too high! Do you know how to evaluate options of how and
where to invest it and what will give you the best returns?
You don’t have to be able to do everything.. but being
physically strong with adequate exercise and a healthy diet is a great first
step.. mental and emotional strength need to be built through prayer reading
introspection and spending time with yourself bring you to the next one..
Everyone reading this blog knows everything there is to know about sexual
safety so all I will say is exercise prudence and caution always and stay out
of trouble..
Digital safety is a big one – am not super savvy but
please keep your life private and don’t share personal data photographs and
information online! There are unscrupulous scamsters out there who are always
on the lookout for easy targets.. What people don’t know can never be used to
harm you so.. mum’s the word and Shhhh..
In my opinion, personal and professional safety come
mainly from keeping both these “lives” mutually exclusive from each other!
Information is power and you never want to be caught in the crossfire of power
play – it’s never a good place to be! This may not be your mantra for life but
it is now the cornerstone of mine and I just hope something I have written
resonates with you and makes a difference..
Coming back to Rakshabandhan, some brothers and
sisters are very close and God bless them.. in other cases, distance creeps in
and tends to alienate the siblings because of various influences of people
circumstances and situations.. and that is something that has to be accepted
with wisdom and grace and chalked up to experience! If you are celebrating,
have a wonderful time and do always respect the sanctity and purity of the
relationship and cherish it always!
I sent out a Rakshabandhan “non-rakhi” message to four
amazing young men today.. am not naming them here but they are above and beyond
family to me and I just wanted to let them know how much I treasure them..
their care and concern for me.. their deep understanding and unflinching support.. and that I am truly blessed and my life is so
much better happier safer and nicer because they are in it! All of them are
very shy and would die of embarrassment if I mentioned their names here.. but every single one of you knows who you are and Happy Rakshabandhan to you!!
Thank you as always for reading and may I please
request that you write your name at the beginning or end of your comment
(should you choose to write one)!
No comments:
Post a Comment